Monday, September 24, 2012

What is an EDA anyway??

Greetings and Salutations-
  So lets jump into this ting--yah? In my world, and I live with a lot of abbreviations as a language in and of itself, EDA stands for Every Day Account. Our first account was The Main Checking Account- which is where the main meat and potatoes of our bills come out of. Either auto-drafted or manually drafted for each bill. The main account is the one that eventually you will fill every two weeks (or weekly if that is how you are paid) and let it run like the well oiled machine it will become. Now the Every Day Account it where (at least for me) things that are more variable and somewhat controllable come from such as gas, food, and some incidentals. I have figured up how much I need to live on for the flexible stuff and then we will have a final move to a last account- your spending/savings account. More on that later but just know that the money gets split one more time.
  Know that everyone's situation is different and this is a place that is a big variable in and of itself. Accurately estimate an amount as close to reality and monitor it. Make sure that what you thought you first needed for gas is correct. for Groceries is correct. Think about where you can cut things.
  The grocery store is a vortex of possibilities to cut your bottom line. It is a place that most people don't realize (or want to realize) how much control they actually have .Can you shop for groceries at Wal-Mart? (I know you need meds to go in there but there is always a possibility you can end up on people of wal-mart.com or what ever that site is LOL) Make it a game to switch brands from name brand to store brand with your family. Make it scientific with yourself. Make a list of all the products you try and know which ones don't make a differences and which ones do (like a check list). I can promise you that you can switch more items that you think and you can't tell the difference for most except in your wallet. Write down the price differences. Go shopping at Harris Teeter or Publix's and then go to Food Lion or Wal-mart and buy the same things. Substitute store brand where ever you can. It adds up and fast. Make it that game again that will keep you on the pathway of success.
  Another place is Costco/Sam's Club. Can you split things with someone if it is more food than you or your family need at once? A word to the wise-all of the items that they sell in these warehouses are not always a bargain. DO THE MATH!! sometimes it is just buying in bulk- other times it is savings by the dollars. I have taken a calculator (yes I am a dork), gone up and down the isles and divided items per piece, ounce, etc and compared it to what I buy at Wal-Mart. I can tell you from my list what is really cheaper at Costco and what  isn't worth the storage or that I won't be tricked into buying. I save a lot of money for the items I buy there. It is a pain to shop at several different places sometimes but the savings are always worth it. You have to know for your self and your situation where the bargain is.
  Hope you are reading some of the books I have suggested and would love to have any input that you would like to share including any successes and any reading that you have done.

Tootles
Heather  :)

3 comments:

  1. I need an EDA with a limitless supply. I appear to get nickel and dimed to death!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered an ING account?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a smart phone, you can install ShopSavvy, scan the barcode in Wal-Mart. If it comes out to be less, they will honor the price. I have used this myself.

    ReplyDelete