Monday, November 5, 2012

Automation Makes It Happen

Greetings and Salutations-
  So tonight I thought I would bring it back to some financial stuff.. Automation came to mind.. I most certainly believe that this is one of the most important keys to financial success.. When you start to automate your saving, spending, saving to spend, and paying yourself-- it closes the gap of unaccounted spending.. I have talked about this before but thought this time I would spend a little more time on this subject because it is really something that you can start small and increase it over time.. Its a great bang for your buck!!
  So first lets look at a habit that you quit, change, or decrease.. I would think that most all people at this point bank online--drafting money into your savings/spending account doesn't cost anything so start it small and start it frequently.. As I have said before-- I started with $8 for coffee that I was spending at work everyday and decided to cut that out. The trick is instead of just changing that habit you have to keep "spending" it as you would before..but instead of making Starbucks richer (and don't get me wrong I love Starbucks) you have to get it to a place that you will benefit from it-- your spending/savings account. Every Friday I drafted $8 and quickly started looking around on how I could add to the kitty. I quit smoking and that added $20..   What would you add to yours? It can start with any amount that you have.. Figure out how to add to it.. Maybe it is how much you usually spend out with your friends. Try every other time taking even $20 off the top of what you would spend..
  Life s all about choices and I feel that more are up to us than we like to admit to.. When you automate things and account for more and more of each dollar and know where it is going then that is when you get going.. It is where you start to see progress and progress begets progress and before you know it.. you are accounting for all of your money and what you spend and save!! We all know that the more you have the more you spend.. So why not the more you account for the more you actually have when you need it?
  Figure out what works for you.. Try every and all combinations that you can until you find your sweet spot of success.. There is nothing in the world like having the money available to you when you need it because you have planned ahead and done without until you were actually financially ready to purchase it.. Draft it.. Make it weekly.. Make it challenge you.. Start off with a buck or two and watch it grow.. Find ways to add to it.. Minimal planning today can make tomorrow a day of pleasure when you are prepared and accountable to yourself and/or your family.. Financial skills are learned either through passing it down in a family or active participation and teaching yourself.. It is a skill that has more immediate payoff than you think.. You just have to get started and that is why I think automating as much money as possible makes a real difference..Once you get it all going for the most part you just watch your money go in the categories and accounts that it belongs and you spend and save with intelligence and purpose.. It can change your life..

Tootles  :)
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't have any vices like coffee or smaokes, but I am sure I can eat more leftovers for lunch.....GREAT advice! (as always)

    ReplyDelete