Monday, December 10, 2012

Rocks In Your Pathway

Greetings and Salutations
  Hope everyone's holiday season is going along smoothly and with little stress.. Its the season for all things good and stress isn't on the list--
  So Sunday I participated in the closing of King Street for 2nd Sunday of the month-- I need to learn more about it (secondsundayonkingstreet.com)-- my understanding is that the city does this each month for the entire spring/summer.. I am ashamed to say I have never participated in this event but that is a dated way to express my thoughts/feelings--here is what I really meant to say-- I attended my first Second Sunday on King Street and it was AWESOME!! How wonderful with all the people out in the street, music, businesses with doors open and all the tables on the street open for lunch and dinner..It was truly a wonderful experience and I can't wait to do that again!!
  I also discovered Washington Park.. beautiful and so peaceful! I have also discovered Hampton Park (recently).. I have always known I live in a wonderful city but never seen it for what it truly is.. In my travels it has been easier to appreciate strange cities and explore them then my own-- after all it has just been "home".. Sunday was a Pixie Dust Day and I felt transported to another world.. I felt like I was on vacation..
  Some where in my travels I have heard that in the Zoo they will sometimes put a rock in the path of some animals such as tigers to keep them from traveling the same way repeatedly day in and day out.. This pattern can make them profoundly stressed, sick, and depressed.. My understanding is even the small act of changing its course to go around the rock is enough to have a positive impact on the animals over all health and well being.. Sunday King Street was my rock.. I had a million other things to do but decided it was time to stop being a task master and change my path.. It was a small decision that has inspired me to really become aware of my habits and how to not just get out of a rut but refuse to live in one..
  My first plan is to start off by connecting with my city and be aware of events going on around town.. Take a book to the park on the weekends and enjoy everything I can every moment I can.. I have not spent my weekends (lately) judiciously and this must change.. I am watching a lot less TV and listening more to my music.. I want so much out of life.. I feel like each day and with each new experience I am becoming more and more alive.. I realize how much of my life I have spent passive and that my life has been my job.. About the party.. About letting life happen without active participation.. About being passive.. About not really being awake at the wheel of life and thinking about what I want and then taking the action steps to get it.. To make it happen.. I am so grateful I have finally started the process of waking up.. A year ago I would never thought I would be blogging every Monday and for sure never thought anyone would want to read it.. I now believe that all things are possible with hard work and never giving up..
  Over the weekend they installed the left dedicated turn signal on Hwy 61 that I spoke of in a previous blog.. I can't tell you how moved I was that I had an impact on something that both myself and others will benefit from.. That makes an intersection safer for all those that travel it.. I can't tell you how it feels to have a thought and pursue it until fruition.. I hope some of this will inspire you to take a personal inventory and actively think about what you want.. Develop a plan-- Wake up and go for it!! So what's your rock gonna be?

Tootles :)
Heather

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. You can feel refreshed by veering off the path and experiencing something new!

    ReplyDelete