Monday, February 25, 2013

Can You Spare Some Change?

Greetings and Salutations--
     I have been thinking alot lately about change and how it impacts us on an emotional level.. Recently I experienced a change at work that has lead to an amazing transformation of attitudes in both myself and my co-workers.. It was the smallest of change that we all figured would do nothing to resolve the issue of physical work space.. We were leery of  the change at first.. Putting up all the usual barriers "this isn't going to work" "this isn't going to change anything" "why can't we do this or that instead".. You know, the usual bitching and moaning about change.. Feeling like you have to jump through administrative hoops that will get you nowhere.. The concept of trying something before you can truly evaluate its efficacy was reinforced through this experience..  Even though in the long run something more will have to be done with the physical space that we all work in this was a great start.. It was change.. Moral was and still is the highest I have seen or felt since I started working in this department. We were resistant at first.. Deciding what would and would not work (in our heads) without physically trying it first.. Sometimes you just can't see the secondary gain(s) from trying something without doing just that, actually trying it..
     I also made an interesting observation while this change was going on.. I watched my co-workers and their reactions.. One was stressed out and another was stressed out that the other one was stressed out.. I removed myself from all of the emotion and realized that what co-worker (A) needed was to be left alone, know that she was stressed beyond her comfort zone, and she would be OK with time.. Co-worker (B) needed to realize and recognize these things about her fellow co-worker and most importantly to not OWN her co-workers EMOTIONS..
     So that made me step away from my work situation and relate it to my own world.. How many times do I get myself into trouble when I get into a lather because someone else is upset or pissed off? Why does it make us uncomfortable to let someone else's emotions stand alone without reacting to them? How do we not get uncomfortable if we don't share the same emotions as those around us in times of stress? Without owning someone else's feelings? So many times what truly works best in an emotionally charged environment is to give the other person space and do nothing.. Time gives perspective.. Maybe it is just human nature that makes it become infectious to feel the emotion of someone you share space with, either in the office or at home..
     How many times have we all ended up in a fight with someone because of their emotions that we took personally? How many times have I failed to give someone the space that they need to work through a situation on their own? Let them cool off from a bad day or simply recognized what they needed in that situation was different from what I would need and be comfortable in that difference.. Maybe just because someone I am around feels a particular way doesn't mean it has anything to do with me.. In the future I will work on evaluating a given situation in the context "Is his/her emotions/feelings something I need to own or not?"
     Change is something that brings out anxiety in most people.. Next time you are in an environment of change and things are getting stressful, take a moment to examine yourself and those around you.. What can you do to buffer the pain of change and ease into it with the best attitude as possible?


Tootles  :)
Heather

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog, I think the best yet. I can so relate and have recognized the same thing especially at work....

    ReplyDelete