Monday, June 17, 2013

Secondary Gains Add To Your Success

Greetings and Salutations
     Hope this finds you well as always.. Tonight I was thinking about how to inspire yourself and how action(s) that you take can do that.. When you are looking to do something different, change something, or improve upon something you must of course first being to think of what needs to different, changed, or improved.. Spend some time thinking about this.. A well thought out plan is an organized and linear approach to devise the action that you need to make things happen.. This plan is shifting in both length and scope in direct relationship to what you get accomplished and what either gets a check mark, addition, or strike on the list.. A plan must be flexible in order to keep you moving in a forward direction.. You have thought about it, lamented about it, prayed about it, and written it down a million times.. There comes a point when you begin your journey and figure it out as you progress down the path of your life.. When it moves from paper to reality..
     Let me give you some examples of that I am talking about.. Out of my need to do more social things I joined few Meet-Up groups last year.. The one I have really stuck with is a cooking class.. Without making a dissertation of what this class really is, the most important thing is the by-product of this class.. It got me back in the kitchen.. Last year when I started participating in this group I was on cooking strike that had lasted six months (or more).. From there I bridged the gap of wanting to make lunches for the work week in my head to actually making it happen.. When I go to these classes it reinforces my presence in the kitchen and renews my commitment to cook my meals on a consistent basis (ie for the work week, not when being social).. It gives me new ideas to try out.. It INSPIRES me to be in the kitchen in general.. To associate fun with that activity if for nothing else to be creative in the kitchen.. When I help create food in her kitchen I would normally shy away from (but love) to try myself, it gives me confidence to remember I have already done it once, so there for I am more likely to try again.. It works.. I love cooking so much better.. I am getting around not wanting to cook just for myself by cooking the meals for the week (for dinner).. This is my current project: Make dinners when I make work lunches on Sundays..
     Here is another example.. I am reading a book about time management.. Now to be completely transparent this book kinda frustrates me, here again is the cliff notes version, because I have to constantly read between the lines.. I have to translate the ideas into my world.. Figure out how I can make it work for me in my life.... I don't work for myself or from home.. I don't have a husband and kids (the main two perspectives of this great book).. The thing that has kept me reading is that this chick is spot on about how she sees time.. I am really starting to get a handle on managing my time sooo much better.. It is difficult to put into words.. Its really super cool.. Makes me want to write a book one day about time management from the perspective of single, in your forty's and no kids without having to read between the lines.. I am looking at time in smaller blocks instead of a continuous stream.. For instance I dedicate "X" amount of time to doing something: cleaning, reading, writing Thank You notes, yard work, etc.. When that time is up I then move to the next task to be done.. I repeat this until I have accomplished my goal.. More often than not, setting an allotted amount of time and sticking to it amazingly gets the job done the first time around..
     Thinking about time and how I want to spend it lead me to cancel my cable.. I have no idea where you are on the continuum of TV watching but, while I don't watch much on TV what I do too frequently sucks me in.. I waste too much time if it is anything more than about four hours a week watching anything (including an average weekend) and usually it is.. Funny truth is that not having cable has never occurred to me as an option.. Until now.. I traded TV money for a monthly massage membership.. Not a dime (extra) comes out of my budget from what I have been spending already.. After thinking about it for about 2 . 2 nanoseconds massage trumps TV any day of the week..
     I hope you see the over all point I am making with my living examples.. On my chalkboard in my kitchen the current message is "Never stop improving.. Think quality of life, always".. Develop a list and decide what you want out of your life.. Be open and look for the secondary gain in all things.. Especially the ones that you think won't make a contribution to your cause.. Often, its those that can inspire you the most.. Don't forget your primary goal is to get your life headed in a forward direction.. Now get your badonkadonk and get moving..


Tootles  :)
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment