Wednesday, July 24, 2013

TED...Its Worth Checking Out

Greetings and Salutations
     I am sorry I haven't blogged in a few Monday's.. I have had quite a few things going on and not enough hours in the day to get it all done.. I have also been alittle short of creativity as of lately and I find it a real challenge to blog when I feel that way.. Having said that disclaimer, here goes nothing LOL.. Tonight I want to turn you onto something I think is really cool, and this doesn't require reading :) Check out TED Talks.. I found it on Netflix.. You can also find it at TED.com.. Its twenty minutes worth of food for thought from all types of presenters from Bill Clinton to Malcolm Gladwell (one of the dudes on my book list).. My sister actually mentioned it to me months and months ago, but it didn't find me until just about a week ago..
     Alot of the presentations are very much along the lines of the thoughts I express in my blog and so very much inline with the reading and teachings I am learning for a positive belief system and the science that goes with it.. It gives you tools and teaches you lessons to rewire your brain from the perspective where most of us learned to come from (negative or it can't be done) to anything is possible and the research that has gone into breaking myths of how powerful your thoughts and perspective about the world around you can be.. About how important the way in which you process the information you receive has to do with your overall outlook on life.. It teaches concepts that really can flip your world onto itself and help you to live a life of hopefulness not hopelessness.. Of happiness and success, not stress and failures.. To switch your default to a positive view, not a negative one..
     So last weekend I had a great birthday celebration and was very grateful to celebrate it with some wonderful friends.. Wanna know what was underneath the surface? Missing my Mom.. This first year of "firsts" is every bit of the challenge that I suspected it would be.. Somehow once again, I thought I could circumnavigate the emotions of missing my Mom as deeply as I do by trying to ignore my feelings.. The hole I feel of course comes from this first time in my life of not getting a "Happy Birthday" from my Mom.. Next year the sting will be less.. I look forward to that.. I can't even type the concept of her name without tearing up.. I can't talk to anyone about it because there is really nothing to say.. Its been just over three months since she died.. I have to let the tears flow when they do.. I have to just let the intensity of the feeling sink in and wait for it to pass like a storm.. And pass it will.. I know I have to continue to learn how to comfort myself and let the passage of time heal me as well.. Overall I'm doing great in that department..
    So I say that to help myself see my thoughts on "paper" so to speak.. Somehow that makes me feel better.. That even though at this moment my heart and soul is heavy, I keep as positive an outlook as possible.. Life really is so much in how you frame what happens to you and around you.. What lessons you choose to walk away with.. Being positive and seeing possibility in life and situations doesn't mean bad things don't happen.. It doesn't mean you don't get sad, mad, make bad choices, or get depressed.. It means when those things happen you do your best to see the good in everything you can and deal with the bad with the best attitude possible, not the worst.. So far, after all I have been reading and learning, there is real science to all of this.. I find this really cool and an endless source of research for me.. For example, have you ever heard of Post Traumatic Growth? I have never heard of it until one of the TED presentations. It is the other end of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).. Google it.. Very interesting stuff I think..
     A friend of mine the other day called me and said  "I've been reading your posts on Facebook.. Whats up all the sudden with so much exercise? Mid-life crisis? (laughing) I've never known you to do any of this, ever".. My response:  "Are you kidding? I've been praying and waiting for this all of my life" and left it at that.. What I wanted to do was point out how non-supportive and kinda (actually) hurtful his comments were to me.. While I know he didn't mean any harm I want encouragement and support not laughter or doubt in my abilities.. I understand the comments for what they are.. His limitations of himself.. His skepticism of something new to him.. It is much easier and familiar to put something down than raise it up so it will hurt less when it fails, as we suspect 90% of what we (and those around us) will try-- right?? (wrong)
     We limit not only ourselves with our thoughts, but those around us as well.. When you change how you see the world and your relationship to it you will no longer process information this way.. You will choose to see the good in almost everything and the bad will be automatically filtered out.. It won't take effort to see the good in people and things.. It will take effort to see the bad.. You will have a "can do anything you put your mind to" attitude.. Next time you open your mouth in response to what someone is attempting in their life, make sure you aren't picturing yourself in their shoes and assuming that if you can't do it neither can they.. Adopt the "anything is possible " attitude without any footnotes of doubt and watch what happens..


Tootles :)
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment